Pages

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Band desires

I've been suffering from band withdrawal for more than a year now. It was around August last year when I last played with a band. Nowadays, my bass is stowed away in a muggy corner of my room, my hands are not as nimble anymore and I'm still stuck listening to japanese pop. My mainstay band, Half-wishing, has been on hiatus since 2002 mainly due of the "realities of life" (Accenture slavery). Now I'm thinking of putting up a new band with my girlfriend. I'm thinking of starting a duo first and expanding it to accomodate anybody who wants to join. Obviuosly, I've also been playing the band name game. I currently have three names in mind.

1. Suicide Siopao - I knew a band called Suicide Siomai that played 80's pop songs but with a 90s poprock twist. So why not name a band after them but make it sound bigger (since a siopao is four times bigger than a siomai).

2. Killer Kalabasa - I'm looking for a name that sounds edgy with an touch of humor to it (including food references hehehe) and this name was the first that came up.

3. Sundried Tomatoes - Sounds a bit like Smashing Pumpkins. I like it because my girlfriend and I love sundried tomatoes with our pasta. This name might be the one.

Just for posterity, I included some band pictures.


The De La Salle University Chamber Ensemble (circa 1997). That's me on the upper left hugging my huge double bass.


Half-wishing during the CIO fashion show (December 2001). From left to right: Jomar Abesamis (rhythm guitar), me (low frequency device), Debbie Wong (vocals), John Evangelista (drums), Gwen Torres (vocals) and Mike Duff (lead guitar).


Another Half-wishing picture.


My Ibanez bass temporarily freed from storage.


The view down under.


No comments: