Pages

Thursday, November 04, 2004

Memories of Korea

Been sorting through a lot of my pictures from Korea. Here are a couple more.


This is a street in Yeoido near where I live. Look at all the neon lights!!! Sign makers must make a fortune here. I wonder if the heat generated by the lights are enough to thaw the snow in winter.



Dr. Shirota's Yakult made it's way to Korea too. Not surpised as Japan is just a short hop away. In Korea, they still have the ladies that sell Yakult on the streets with the refrigerated carts and funny hats. I guess all our Yakult ladies (during the 80s) either got run over by reckless drivers or the job just died out.



Buddhist temple. Notice the symbol that looks like the Nazi swastika. Apparently, Hitler's Third Reich "borrowed" the symbol and inverted it for their own use. Imagine my surprise when I saw this.



Only in Korea did I realize that there are a lot (and I mean a lot!!!) of different kimchis. I only get the cabbage kimchi in the Philippines. Looking at this exhibit, it seems that anything veggie-like can me "kimchied." Being a kimchi lover, I stood at this exhibit for the longest time.



Kimchi lovers will definitely love this museum in COEX mall. Unfortunately they don't allow you to take pictures.



The Green Line (Line 2) subway. Korea has one of the most efficient public transportation in the world. You can get anywhere in the city using the subway and bus. Even a foreigner like me had no problems. Just avoid the rush hours though. Even though the trains got crowded, it wasn't as bad as the LRT or MRT.



No comments: